Beginning DIY…Have a Few Questions

I want to try my first DIY and am not clear on a couple of things.

1. If a recipe calls for 5 flavors that total 12%, does that mean the other 88% is base PG/VG?

2. I don't want to start with a large amount in case I blow it. Can I start out making 10 ml or 20ml? If so, how the heck do you measure out such small amounts of flavoring with any accuracy?
Thanks.

VMS

Original source: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/beginning-diy-have-a-few-questions.967753/